Hops are a climbing herbaceous plant with a hard stem and dioecious flowers. It is part of the Cannabaceae family and is a fairly common plant in countries with a temperate climate. Its scientific name is Humulus lupulus.
It is mainly used to flavor and enhance the flavor and smell of beers. Since the 7th century, this plant has been used to treat various diseases. Moreover, its medicinal properties are no longer to be proven. In terms of chemical composition, a distinction is made between essential oil, bitter principles, tannins, prenylated derivatives and terpene derivatives.
- 1 Details of the properties and uses in herbal medicine
- 2 Forms and preparations
- 3 Recommendations for use and usual dosage
- 4 Precautions for use and contraindications
Details of the properties and uses in herbal medicine
Hops exhibit sedative and antispasmodic effects. Therefore, it allows to treat diseases of nervous origin such as stress or anxiety. It even helps to manage hyperemotional children. It also improves sleep quality and prevents insomnia.
Also, it helps to decrease libido. It is said, moreover, that it was used to reduce the sexual impulses of certain religious of the Catholic Church.
The other indications of this medicinal plant are :
- Digestive tract disorders: slow and difficult digestion, gastric burning, lack of appetite, flatulence and bloating
- Disorders related to menopause: hot flashes, palpitations and mood disorders
- Joint problems: rheumatism and arthritis
- Regulation of the hair system in women
- Skin concerns: acne, sensitive and fragile skin
Forms and preparations
- Herbal tea or decoction
- Dry extracts (dried cone)
- EPS or fluid extracts of standardized fresh plants
- Mother tincture
- Essential oil
Recommendations for use and usual dosage
Herbal tea or decoction:
In a cup of boiling water, infuse 1 tablespoon of dry extracts for 10 minutes. Drink up to 3 cups a day.
For a cure of 25 days, dilute 15 drops of tincture in a little water. It should be taken in the morning or in the evening, before or after each meal.
Swallow 4 capsules of 279 mg per day with a glass of water.
Essential oil :
- For external use solve skin conditions.
- For internal use to enjoy its relaxing and estrogenic activities as well as to improve digestive comfort.
Precautions for use and contraindications
Medicinal products can be dangerous to health. For each use, it is therefore necessary to first consult the advice of a therapist or a health professional in order to prevent possible undesirable effects. In addition, it is essential to always comply with the prescribed doses.
Because of its estrogenic properties, hops are not suitable for people suffering from hormone-dependent cancer such as breast or cervical cancer. This restriction also applies to pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Side effects :
Long-term use and overdose can lead to dizziness, jaundice and erectile dysfunction.
It is necessary to avoid the association of hops with:
- The alcohol
- Drugs with estrogenic and sedative actions (sleeping pills, antidepressants, antiepileptics, antipsychotics and opioid analgesics)