Cultivated for millennia on the high plateaus of the Andes, this seed has become the star of the organic shelves. Rightly because quinoa has many nutritional virtues.
Quinoa, the friend of vegetarians
It has the advantage of containing protein which provide all the essential amino acids that the body cannot manufacture. It is the only plant, with amaranth, in this case. As such, it is good for vegetarians.
Quinoa, useful against constipation
Quinoa is high in fiber. It provides about 6 g per 100 g. They are excellent for regulate intestinal transit and limit the passage time of toxins in the intestine.
It should also be noted that, due to its fiber content, it causes a slight increase in blood sugar when cooked al dente.
A gluten-free seed
Quinoa is a delight for those intolerant to gluten because it is naturally gluten-free. he can replace cereals that contain it such as wheat, spelt, rye, barley… If it is eaten in the same way as rice or pasta, it also exists in flakes, soufflé for breakfast, or in flour.
An antioxidant food
In addition to its richness in proteins and polyunsaturated fatty acids, quinoa contains many micronutrients which give it a good antioxidant action. It contains in particular flavonoids with anti-inflammatory properties.
Preparing and cooking quinoa
This seed, which is cooked like a cereal, belongs to the spinach family (chenopodiaceae).
- Which variety to choose? White is the sweetest in taste. The red has a nutty flavor. Crunchy, the black is leaves a slightly earthy bouquet. Peruvian quinoa is less bitter than Bolivian. Choosing organic is preferable.
- Recommended rinseé: the outer layer contains saponin, a natural “pesticide”, with a bitter taste. It is eliminated by washing, before the quinoa is marketed. However, it is advisable to rinse it under cold water until there is no more foam. This will avoid this bitterness.
- Cooking : in boiling water like rice, with two parts water for one part quinoa. Allow 12 min for white, 14 min for red and 20 min for black. Tasting it while cooking prevents it from sticking.
- Preservation : protected from light and moisture in an airtight container, up to two years.
Ideas for cooking quinoa
- In tomatoes, quinoa can replace rice, with tuna and mixed vegetables.
- In poultry, it will serve as a stuffing with dried fruits (apricots, figs, walnuts). Remember to tie the poultry before putting it in the oven.
- the sprouted quinoa can be used like alfalfa sprouts and enhances salads, sandwiches, soups…